Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Updates updates

Yesterday I had an appointment with one of my heart doctors and even though it was Halloween it was no treat. Joe and I were expecting that we would talk with our doctor about what was going to be different with my upcoming heart procedure, we had heard 3 weeks ago the plan was to do another ablation. I was completely caught off guard when the doctor said that I would be getting a pacemaker.

He explained that the reason I suddenly needed a pacemaker was because my lazy SA node is not showing any signs that it is going to start working. I wore a monitor for 24 hours and during that time my SA node didn't work at all. My heart also stopped for 10.5 seconds (thank goodness it started working again!) We had known that my heart was still stopping every now and then, but it has not been recorded for as long as 10.5 seconds yet. It scares me because when it stopped for 10.5 seconds I was conscious, and now I wonder how long my heart has stopped when I have passed out in the past.

The doctors said that it is possible that it could also fix my heart because they think in a way my heart is trying to overcompensate once my heart rate gets so low in the 30's-50's that it starts to race. I don't really understand it even though I am a nurse.

I have a really good friend also named Sarah, who got a pacemaker when she was 14 years old. I have known her since we were both 12. She has been so great to answer my questions. She has really helped me to know that this is not the end of the world and that it is okay to live with a pacemaker.

I am waiting to hear back from the doctors on when this will all go down. Maybe they will change their minds again and want to try an ablation again. I will keep you updated.

13 comments:

Amy Jo said...

Sarah, I am always thinking about you! I hope they can figure out your heart and the best way to help it.

katie b. p. said...

Thanks for the update! Honestly, half robot could have some benefits...Maybe you will be one of the few that will be accepted by the Artificial Intelligence robots that are going to take over in a few years! Praying for you!

Suz said...

Mom left a message today with the news. We'll keep praying for you:)

cpace said...

Jane sends lots of love via this comment.

Charone Peterson said...

I hope the pacemaker can make a real difference in your quality of life. And hopefully make it so you don't have to take any more meds! Sorry it wasn't the news you were hoping to hear.

aclark said...

I'm sorry that you and Joe are having to go through all of this! But have kept such a good attitude through this, if there is anything you need, please let us know!

Rachelle said...

Sorry Sarah!! That is scary news. I sure wish the doctors could get to the bottom of things. You're in our prayers!

Mary said...

JB is calling you right now. Now he's calling your mom right now like, "what?!" We are thinking of you.

Shaylee said...

Thinking of you and Joe. We hope this will be the solution to get that heart of yours working like it should.

Kelly Peterson said...

I think about you two often! I see Joe's parents all the time now that I am in Burley for a little while. I love them both. You will be in my prayers.

Amy said...

Sending prayers your way!

Christy said...

I'm sorry you didn't receive the news you hoped for. I hope that the pacemaker can be an answer to your prayers and that it can help your heart in ways nothing else has been able to. You're in our prayers.

vanessa said...

sarah! came on your blog through celina's. goodness i am sorry about your heart troubles. i hope everything is healing ok and your are feeling good! you look great!