I always loved my Dad's 1998 Audi A4. When I was in Jr High he would bribe me by saying that if I washed his car he would drive me and pick me up during the weekends. I loved this idea and I washed that car by hand weekly until I could drive myself.
This was one of the smartest things I could have done, because I eventually bought this car from my Dad and because I had taken such great care of it when I was a teen I was getting a beauty of a car.
The day I bought my car from my Dad he had it fully detailed for me!
This picture is when he handed over the keys to me maybe about 5 years ago.
This picture is when he handed over the keys to me maybe about 5 years ago. Today started out with me trying to start my car and it not starting. Dead battery. I got it replaced and drove on, but the car was switching gears like I was driving a stick for the first time (it is an automatic, so I knew something was wrong). I drove it to the Audi dealership to get it looked at. Hours later the Audi grim reaper called me with the worst news I have heard, he told me my transmission was bad and that it would cost $6000 for a new transmission. After more research and calling around I have more options.
1. New transmission-this will never happen, We are broke.
2. Sell it for parts- I can't believe he even suggested this option to me
3. Used transmission- ($2800, 6 month parts and labor guarantee)
4. Trade it in (we are broke)
5. Drive it until it gives up the ghost
6. Become a one car family, or let Joe buy that motorcycle he always talks about (this will never happen, as a nurse I call them "donorcycles")
Did I mention my car has 171,000 miles on it and normally every time I take it in for a check up the mechanic is always shocked by how awesome my car is. And my car has heated seats, tinted windows and all wheel drive. I seriously love this car.
11 comments:
USED transmission...you cant get rid of your car!
AND being a one car family, trust me, has some major challenges.
♥ Celina
Shoot! I don't know what to do. But I'm with you on no motorcycle. Can you tell JB about those? He sometimes wishes for one.
How about a scooter?
It's the doom of owning an Audi. We had so many problems with Jason's it was ridiculous. I know you love it and this is hard to hear but my vote is to drive it into the ground or try and get some money for parts.
Sad day. Stupid Audi. Getting us all so attached then dropping us like it's hot.
I think there is an audi or foreign pick n pull off Geneva in Orem. They may have another transmission that you could get for a couple hundred to put in. So that may drop the costs significantly but it wouldn't have a warranty but 6 months isn't very long. This is a sad day indeed!!
The best cars are between 20ish-120,000ish miles. If you buy them new you are going to lose on your investment, but if you drive them to long you will lose on your investment. I say sell it for what you can and get something with a little less millage. Kaite's Audi that looked a lot like yours started having problems and we traded it in (don't do that). We only got $900 for it. Just list it on KSL or something because someone with know how can fix that car and you will both get a good deal.
I don't know what you should do, but I can tell you with certainty to NOT trade it in. That is the worst thing you can do as far as bang for your buck goes. You could get more for the scrap metal than you could trading it in, no joke.
Actually the scrap metal market is up right now so maybe you should go for that. :)
Sweet Audi...it has been good to you.
I would go for the used transmission. And make sure you always have your cell on you when you drive it!!
So I'm a little late...but I'd go for the used transmission or sell it for parts. I'm basing my advice on absolutely zero knowledge of cars, though :)
Just caught up on the last handfull of your blogs... You're amazing! I'll definitely keep you in my prayers.
So sad! Your car is such a beauty! Let us know what you decide.
How is your heart doing? I hope you are on the mend :)
Post a Comment