As some of you know, I have plans to attend law school in the Fall. As of right now, I have been accepted to two schools: University of Idaho and Lewis and Clark College. I have been waitlisted at BYU, Arizona, and Washington and Lee. I have yet to hear back from five schools. So a lot is still up in the air. Law schools require a deposit to reserve your seat. Most schools require a deposit the middle of April. I decided before choosing which school got my money I should go check out Idaho and L&C.
Originally my plan was to drive a combined 30 hours (12 hours from Provo to Portland, 7 hours from Porland to Moscow and then 11 hours from Moscow to Provo) however, Sunday night as I drove to Burley, there was wind gusts of upwards of 60 miles an hour blowing snow across the freeway over the mountainous roads. Whiteouts on the road are susceptible to accidents they figure and they decided to close the freeway. Unfortunately they closed the roads about 20 minutes before I got there, so I was stuck. I ended up having to spend the night in my car in the Flying J parking lot in Snowville. Luckily, I had enough foresight to bring my sleeping bag, despite criticisms from my wife (not really she told me it was a good idea but I tell her that she made fun of me for bringing it). Boy was I glad to have it too because the temperature was about 30 degrees, but that didn't bother me one bit in my mummy bag. At six in the morning I decided not to wake up but rather to stop trying to fall asleep and get some breakfast. An egg sandwich and orange juice later I was back on the road headed to Burley. They opened the freeway at seven and I was home in Burley at about eight. After thoughtful consideration, I decided that driving 9 more hours to Portland probably wasn't the safest thing in the world for me to do after having such a terrible night I imagined that Mr. Sandman would probably be driving in front of me with his dump-truck carrying sand shoveling sand at me the entire time. My parents fearing I would be on a suicide drive offered to help me with plane tickets. I acquiesced their offer and made arrangements to fly out of Boise later that day.
Driving two hours to Boise was like a drive around the block compared to the 9 hours that I had originally planned. I flew into Portland Monday night and slept the night at a hotel that I would have loved more time to enjoy. I spent Tuesday in Portland checking out Lewis and Clark Law School and then flew that night to the bustling airport of Pullman, WA. If any of you have ever been to an airport with a security line longer than a line of people in Ethiopia waiting for free food, you know the fear that comes with the thought of missing your plane before you can make it through security. At the Pullman airport no one has ever had that fear or will ever have that fear because there is only one line for security and it isn't even open until 10 minutes before your plane boards. With an average of two flights leaving Pullman a day, it isn't very busy. My good friend McCord Larsen was there to pick me up and drive the 10 miles to his home in Moscow and he was doubly kind to let me stay with him in Moscow.
Thursday morning, I awoke to 6 inches of new snow on the ground in Moscow. I could not believe it. I was so glad that I did not drive. I can only imagine the mess that I would have been in trying to drive home with all the snow. I felt grateful that I had made the right decision to fly and while I had cursed the wind gods that made the freeway close and tortured me with a night of restlessness in my car, I now praised their name for lifting me on airplane wings over the top the snowy roads below.
I flew back to Boise that night, not yet with a firm decision on who is getting my money but a better feel for the two schools and the life I will be living in the Fall. I could definitely see myself attending either school and with another 5 schools still making a decision, I might be making some more trips to other fun cities before everything is finally done.
8 comments:
Joe my vote is BYU so Sarah stays close!!! I would hate to have to drive through more snow and cold to visit!!!
I vote ANYWHERE BUT HERE, so we have a reason to come visit.
Good luck!
Hey Sarah...I found you through Celina. How are you? I'm so impressed by the whole marathon thing - I want to do that! Anyway, hope all is well for you and Joe. Miss you!
You'll do great wherever you go. Good luck!
JOE! I'm so glad you flew! Crazy kid! I hope you go to the school closest to me!! Love you lots!
What a hard choice to make. I'll be thinking about you and praying for you. Take Care,
I'll teach you all you need to know about the law for half the price :)
Great story. So you should just give money to every school because did you know that Sarah is going to make bank? Just do it then you will never have any regrets. Great story I was totally hooked and had to read the entire thing. Do they have the lewis and clark caverns up there? ANyway there is an amazing golf course up there. Do it!
Post a Comment