Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Pregnancy

I have loved being pregnant. I know that I am so lucky to have this experience and I have tried to enjoy every minute of it. It was really fun to also be pregnant when my sister Suzanne and sister in-law Mary were expecting. It think this picture was taken about 4 weeks ago, I was about 29 weeks along. The next day my sister welcomed her baby, and later that week Mary welcomed her baby. 
Here we are showing off our bellies. 

One of the fun things about being pregnant is that everyone is so nice to me, normally. 
I get so many smiles from strangers.. 
Working in the emergency room has been interesting. I take care of some characters on a daily basis. I wanted to share two of my favorite stories that have happened recently. 

I was taking care of a 19 year old girl and this is how the conversation went before any other interaction could take place...
girl: "Are you having twins or triplets?"
Me: "Just one thanks." I immediately walked out of the room so upset. She never asked me if I was even pregnant, just jumped to the conclusion that I was so large I must be having multiples. She never even asked when I was due. I was offended at first, and later thought of all these things I should have said to her.

The story now gives me a good laugh, oh this girl is in for a surprise if someday she is lucky enough to be pregnant.

And just last night I was taking care of a 20 year old who found out that she was 6 weeks along with a surprise baby. She kept staring at my belly. This is how the conversation went.
girl: "You are pregnant huh?"
Me: "I sure am!"
girl: "How far along are you?"
Me: "Almost 34 weeks"
girl: "This is gonna sound weird but, could you show me your belly?"
Me:   long pause. "Uh sure", don't worry I didn't show her my bare belly, but lifted up my scrub top.
girl: starts SOBBING! "Am I gonna get that huge?" sob, sob, sob
Me: "I sure hope so"

I realize I could be offended, but every time I think about it I just laugh thinking about her sobbing at the sight of my belly. 

I LOVE being pregnant, and am so excited to meet our baby girl in 6 weeks!



4 comments:

Rachelle said...

Sheesh - you barely look pregnant! Dumb girls... Your belly is so cute!

I'm glad you're enjoying the pregnancy. Holding Carter for the first time was when it finally dawned on me how lucky I was to get to experience pregnancy. I think it was the first time I ever felt grateful that I am a girl. So much that goes along with womanhood is umpleasant, but being able to carry a child makes it all worthwhile, IMO...

Kelly Peterson said...

People are so fun aren't they. You look so cute. All the wedding pictures of you were adorable too. So excited for you guys.

Mary said...

Wow, I hope those girls each gain 50 pounds and see what it's really like to be huge. I just saw you and you looked incredible!

Kacey said...

Haha...you're not even that big! And you look darling. People say ridiculous things. I loved it when I was 6 months along and people would say things like, "Any day now, huh?!" Um, no.

Your kiddo is so lucky to have cousins the same age. They are going to have a blast together. Looking forward to Baby Preston's grand entrance! :)