Thursday, December 20, 2012

My pacer

It has been a year since I got my pacemaker. Which happens to be on of my favorite Christmas gifts I have ever received. I am so happy I got it and it has changed my life for the better. My heart was in such poor shape, and barely beating on its own.  My pacemaker is very hi tech and is able to tell my doctor all sorts of information.  My pacemaker is a "demand pacemaker", so if my heart decides to  work then my pacemaker does not fire.  When I had my first follow up appointment my heart was sending signals to beat less than 1% of the time.  At that appointment they turned my pacer off for a few seconds and I immediately almost passed out, until they turned it back on.  I was fully dependent on my pacemaker, and felt like we got it put in just in time.

3 months ago I had my last check up and I got the best news. My heart was "waking up" as my doctor put it. He said he has no medical explanation for why this is happening. My heart is beating on its own about 32% of the time.They even turned my pacemaker off for a little bit and I did not have that familiar passing out feeling.  I left the appointment crying tears of joy. I had to laugh because everyone I know would not be happy if their heart was beating on its own 32% of the time, but I sure was. By pacemaker battery will also last longer if my heart decides to work more.

One thing that my pacemaker has allowed me to do is get back to the gym.  I have not been able to run, and will probably never run again, but I can do the elliptical machine. I have even able to lose 20+ pounds, and I am feeling so good. It is amazing how this pacemaker has helped me feel normal.

Some days my heart does bad things and I will have palpitations, and some irregular rhythms, my doctor says that is still the stubborn arrhythmia coming through.  I am so grateful for your prayers.  I know that my doctor can't explain medically why my heart is waking up, but I know that prayers and faith are the reason to why it is waking up.

7 comments:

Mary said...

Every night. All of us.

Dink said...

I love that news!! I am soo glad your heart is being good!!! Yea for miracles!!

Amy said...

Such amazing news!! I'm sooo happy for you! Keep it up ticker!

Rachelle said...

Everything about this post makes me happy!

● C E L I N A ● said...

Its a realyChristmas Miracle!

We will keep praying for you!

♥ Celina

amberdat said...

this is amazing. i am so excited for you. love you!!!

Christy said...

Such good news! So happy you are feeling and doing better!